Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Press release: Over $2.2 Million to Resolve Fair Housing Accessibility Case

Night view of Manhattan, captured from the Man...Image via Wikipedia
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:


Wednesday, October 20, 2010



Over $2.2 Million to Resolve Fair Housing

Accessibility Case in Manhattan



In 2006, the Fair Housing Justice Center, Inc. (FHJC) conducted a testing investigation to

determine whether new multi-family rental developments in Manhattan were being designed and

constructed in compliance with the accessibility requirements of the federal Fair Housing Act

(FHA). The FHJC investigation, funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban

Development (HUD), found non-compliance with the design and construction provisions of the

FHA. The testing identified barriers which posed significant challenges to people with disabilities

who use wheelchairs. The FHJC forwarded the results of its testing, including information about

Avalon Chrystie Place apartments, to the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District

of New York (U.S. Attorney’s Office). In 2008, the U.S. Attorney’s Office filed a lawsuit which

alleged that developers and architects of Avalon Chrystie Place and six other Avalon Bay

Communities in New York City had failed to design and construct their buildings in compliance

with the accessibility requirements of the FHA.



Yesterday, the U.S. Attorney’s Office announced a resolution to the lawsuit. The consent

decree covers 2,557 Avalon apartment units and provides:



1). $2,045,600

to compensate victims (i.e., any person who was harmed by the lack of

accessible features, discouraged from living in the apartments because of the lack of

accessible features, who personally paid to make an apartment accessible to persons with

disabilities, or who was otherwise discriminated against on the basis of disability based on

the design and construction property and apartment flaws);



2).

a civil penalty of $90,000; and,



3).

an Accessibility Project Fund of $72,000 to increase the accessibility of apartment

kitchens

.



Altogether, the settlement is worth over $2.2 million and specifically requires that the relevant

apartments and common areas be retrofitted so people with disabilities can access, use and enjoy

these rental housing opportunities.



Fair Housing Justice Center, Inc. - 5 Hanover Square, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10004

(212) 400-8201 - Fax: (212) 400-8203 - Website: www.fairhousingjustice.org



Under the consent decree, the $2,045,600 victim fund is available to any person who was

harmed by the lack of accessible features at any of the following New York City Avalon buildings:



Avalon Chrystie Place

Avalon Bowery Place I

Avalon Bowery Place II

Avalon Riverview

Avalon Riverview North

Avalon Fort Greene

Avalon Morningside Park



Anyone who believes that he/she may be entitled to receive monetary relief from the victim

fund is encouraged to contact the:

Chief of the Civil Rights Unit

U.S. Attorney’s Office

86 Chambers Street, Third Floor

New York, NY 10007

Civil Rights Complaint Line at (212) 637-2987

TDD line: (212) 637-0039



The FHJC applauds the US Attorney’s Office for bringing this case to a successful

resolution that expands the rental housing opportunities available to people with disabilities in New

York City. Susan M. Kurien, FHJC Executive Director commented, “We are pleased that we were

able to assist the U.S. Attorney’s Office by identifying barriers that continue to restrict access to

rental housing opportunities by persons with disabilities.” Ms. Kurien added, “Since part of the

mission of the FHJC is to promote open, accessible, and inclusive communities, we will continue to

work with local, state, and federal officials to ensure that fair housing accessibility requirements are

enforced.”



The mission of the FHJC is to challenge systemic housing discrimination, promote open and

inclusive communities, and strengthen fair housing enforcement. The FHJC assists individuals who

encounter illegal housing discrimination by providing counseling on fair housing rights,

investigative assistance (including testing), and referrals to administrative agencies and cooperating

attorneys. Individuals who encounter illegal housing discrimination are encouraged to call the

FHJC at (212) 400-8201.



FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

Susan M. Kurien, Executive Director

Fair Housing Justice Center, Inc.

(212) 400-8201

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had my iPad recompense everywhere 2 months now and I'm telling you, Steve jobs certainly has his disposition of converting people to be a Mac/Apple fan. I own the iPad without 3G because I didn't hankering to arrange to contribute in behalf of a mod line in layout to grow the micro SIM card. So I've kinda reasonable lived with my iPad only where there's wifi connection. Which are aplenty anyway at Starbucks, Mcdonalds, and the libraries. This was to come my new zealand mate introduced me to a tickety-boo style thither this problem -- a 3G wifi router AP that supports GPRS, GSM, WCDMA, HSUPA, HSDPA, UMT and WORK ONE'S WAY!

I purchased the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-16971-Huawei+E5830+3G+WiFi+Router+AP+%28WCDMAHSUPAHSDPAUMTEDGEGPRSGSM%29.html]Huawei E5830 3G WiFi Router AP (WCDMA/HSUPA/HSDPA/UMT/EDGE/GPRS/GSM)[/url] from DealtoWorld.com, in the Networking classification, underneath my alter ego's encouragement, and I suppose he gets points or commission from my pay for, since he's a DealtoWorld.com affiliate. The router AP is warmly vest-pocket, lightweight and convenient. So these days I can weld to wifi anywhere with mp iPad! I no longer essential to hunt acme and abject pro a wifi AP at cafes etc. Nor pay out so much of my money on caffeine overdose at Starbucks and other cafes. Too, the 3G Wifi Router AP supports mignonne much all the bandwidths -- GPRS,GSM,WCDMA,HSUPA,HSDPA,UMT,EDGE. Take a look at pictures I've uploaded of the Huawei 3G WiFi router that has made my autobiography so much easier, and is promoting a healthier caffeine-free lifestyle. It proves that a geek lifestyle does not unavoidably have planned to undertake manual labourer in keeping with coffee.




And to reflect on I was making allowance for paying extra to upgrade to the iPad that supports 3G! I'm so glad that that's not predetermined anymore with this 3G wifi router AP. I can righteous weld to the internet wherever I am with the Huawei 3G Wifi Router, as sustained as there is signal. This is not a technology gadget per se, but it has certainly made my life plainly more effectual! More than that, I'm qualified to prevent my shekels that I would normally disburse on Starbucks, McCafe, and other cafes with wifi! Which, not later than the path, makes me astonishment whether it's a ploy nigh Steve Jobs, to prepare launched the 3G iPad adaptation purely much later, so that wifi cafes can get a kick loads of trade from iPad wifi version. But I digress.

The 3G WiFi router AP I bought from [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] would very likely also be clever to discharge me download and play one's part around with my apps on my iTouch, though I haven't tried it yet. Shouldn't be a intractable I should think. This $100+ may be the best money I've vomit up since it enables me to procure a species of WiFi nucleus wherever I am. If I was more entrepreneurial, I can smooth start charging other geeks at cafes without WiFi representing present access to them. I'm unwavering I can question bring in back the $100 this progressing! Alternatively, maybe I can start being an affiliate of DealtoWorld.com too, since I'm starting to buy more gadgets and tools there, and have been spreading brief conversation vibrant to my family and friends. Into the bargain, Christmas is coming in less than 2 months' patch, and I think this Huawei 3G WiFi router would make a impressive premium as a replacement for profuse of my tech geek friends. I'm sure they'll also rise how shining and chilliness the router looks!

20% Off Entire Suite Promo